Each link below goes to a course or resource page that contains the textbook files. Some of these online textbooks are open-licensed electronic versions of print books. Others are self-published online books, or course notes which are so thorough that they serve as an alternative to a conventional textbook. Featured Online Textbooks. A book used by students as a standard work for a particular branch of study.
text + book
- IPA(key): /ˈtɛkst.bʊk/
textbook (pluraltextbooks) Drawing pad to use on mac for adobe after effects.
- A coursebook, a formal manual of instruction in a specific subject, especially one for use in schools or colleges.
Textbook Online Test Series
textbook (comparativemore textbook, superlativemost textbook)
- Of or pertaining to textbooks or their style, especially in being dry and pedagogical; textbooky, textbooklike.
- 1917, George Ransom Twiss, A textbook in the principles of science teaching:
- It is likely to kill interest, and give both teacher and pupils a didactic, textbook attitude at the very beginning.
- 2000, Okasha El Daly, Janet Starkey, Desert travellers: from Herodotus to T.E. Lawrence
- They are mentioned in his flat, textbook voice, alongside schoolroom descriptions of topography and assessments of economic significance.
- 2004, David Henn, Old Spain and new Spain: the travel narratives of Camilo José Cela:
- ..a kind of descriptive account or a social, geographical, anthropological, or historical commentary that may at times have a certain textbook tone to it.
- Having the typical characteristics of some class of phenomenon, so that it might be included as an example in a textbook.
- 1949, George Orwell, chapter 2, in Nineteen Eighty-Four, part three:
- All her rebelliousness, her deceit, her folly, her dirty-mindedness—everything has been burned out of her. It was a perfect conversion, a textbook case.
- 1997, Alexander De Waal, Famine crimes: politics and the disaster relief industry in Africa:
- It was a textbook case of how prompt government action could avert a major crisis.
- 2003, Felice Picano, A house on the ocean, a house on the bay:
- Every night had been clear and star-studded, the progression of the moon through its phases absolutely textbook, its dance with the planets visible in the ecliptic..
- 2003, Robert J Art, Patrick M Cronin, The United States and coercive diplomacy
- In many ways the Korean nuclear crisis is a textbook example of coercive diplomacy — its strengths as well as the risks inherent in such a strategy.
- 2016 October 10, “The Cohabitation Experimentation”, in The Big Bang Theory, season 10, episode 4, spoken by Bernadette (Melissa Rauch):
- It would help if you would stop telling me I have a textbook cervix.
- 2020 December 11, Patricia Mazzei, “A State Scientist Questioned Florida’s Virus Data. Now Her Home’s Been Raided.”, in The New York Times, :
- “That’s textbook bad security practice, and this is an example of why — it’s cumbersome to revoke access and hard to attribute actions to the responsible people,” said J. Alex Halderman, a computer science and engineering professor at the University of Michigan.
- For quotations using this term, see Citations:textbook.